Friday, June 1, 2012

Guys and Gals

There are very few names that I consider to be truly gender neutral. Out of those names, there are even fewer that I actually like for both genders. Here are a few:
-Morgan: While this name is probably better on a girl these days, I think quite a few boys can pull it off as well. The shortened form "Morg" is definitely better on a guy.
-Jordan: A strong name for a boy, it manages to be feminine for a girl. That takes skill.
- Nature names: River, Sage, Aspen, etc. A lot of word names work for both genders. I'm not that into word names, but I could see any of these three on a baby boy or girl.

Do you have any favorite interchangeable options?

3 comments:

  1. Jordan is so only a boys name ;] Rory is pretty gender neutral ;]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I thought of you when I was writing it! And Rory is gender neutral- I like it as a name for boys and nickname for girls!

      Delete
  2. Aspen strikes me as slightly feminine for a guy, and I really don't like Jordan as a girl's name. As someone who works with and reads tons of names day in and day out, I think avoiding gender-neutral names is advisable because sometimes, in this day and age, it's really hard to tell who is what, and gender-neutral names don't help!

    ReplyDelete