Monday, July 18, 2011

Rainy Day Names

It is monsooning here in Flagstaff, and what better way to spend a rainy, thundery afternoon than musing about weather names?

Since I am a HUGE fan of rain in general, perhaps it is no surprise that I love the name "Raine." Now, I know that I am totally breaking one of my rules by adding an "e" to the end of the name, but I really think it makes it seem more complete, and less forecasty. I also like "Rainey;" it's sort of like an alternative to "Laney," which I also like, by the way. "Raine" makes a delightful middle name, if you or your husband are not quite enough committed to it to use it for a first name. "Zinnia Raine" is one of my favorite girl names (it's hippie enough for Flagstaff or Seattle), but since the spousey isn't a fan, one of you can use it! Zinnias are big, gorgeous, poofy flowers, by the way.

Other nice weather names? Well, "Sunny" is a little dated, though it's cheerful and sweet. More modern takes are "Sunshine" and anything with "Sol" in it, like "Solara." "Stormy" and "Gusty" are unusual, but you'd better hope your daughter isn't that tumultuous! "Snow," and it's Spanish equivalent "Nieve" are not too uncommon Blake informed me of a celebrity baby horrifically named "Reignbeau," and I'm sure there are a few little "Lightnings" out there.

Whatever your weather is right now, enjoy your afternoon! Happy naming!

2 comments: