Thursday, July 26, 2012

Tis the Season. Or Tisn't it?

Season names are so tricky. I love them all: "Summer," "Autumn," "Winter," and "Spring" are all gorgeous. But is there ever an appropriate time to use them? It seems very silly to name a child "Summer" if she is born in any other season. But it's cheesy to name a baby born in the summer, "Summer!" How do we reconcile this?!

The same thing applies to month names. Just about any month can be a name, but why name a girl "April" if she's born anytime but then, but again: Naming an April baby "April" is borderline dumb, like naming her "Human" or "Born."

What are your thoughts on this conundrum?

2 comments:

  1. I knew a girl named Summer in High School. It suited her. She very much reminded me of summer. She was bright and happy all the time (it was a little scary) and had bright blonde hair. I'd looove to name my next girl Winter, but Jordan probably wouldnt :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend named Autumn whose birthday is in the spring, I believe. However, her complexion is in the autumn category and it fits her personality. I think the name June is more acceptable outside it's month too.

    ReplyDelete