Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Dual Approval

I am generally a bit wary of names that "work" for both genders; they often are more suitable for one gender or the other, and it means it's not clear on future job applications if the person is a guy or girl. Nonetheless, there are some names that I think are grand for just about any baby:

- Rory: Since this is the nickname of my own dear daughter, I'm obviously a "Rory" fan. I think it works for boys, and it is a nice, not as girly option for little "Auroras" like my daughter, or "Aurelias," and "Loreleis."
- Jamie: It's an adorable short for a young "James" for a boy, and is a nice standalone for a girl's name.
- Jordan: This name has been acceptable for both genders for long enough to make it a viable option for either a guy or a girl. It still has a strong enough sound for a boy (and I prefer it as a guy's name), but it is a far from unusual option for a girl too.
- Alex: A nickname for "Alexander," "Alexandra," and "Alexandria..." dare I call it a classic? This name works for anyone.


Do you have an addition for the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment