Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ultra-Girly

Maybe it's because I'm having a boy in a month, but I've been fantasizing about extremely feminine names lately. My daughter's name, Aurora, is very feminine (though she has a tomboyish nickname), and there's just something about frilly, decidedly female names that I like. Whereas I don't care for gender-neutral names, there are tons of names for girls that are not ultra-girly that I love, but this post is dedicated to those names that say girl.

Here are a few of my favorites:
- Lacey: delicate, pretty, complex, a little frilly... for some reason I love this name; I knew an unpleasant "Lacey" in middle school, and even she couldn't ruin this name for me!
- Flower names: "Begonia," "Hyacinth," "Clover," "Dahlia"...these unusual flower names beg for a bearer in a tutu.
- Celeste: Even though I think of the elephant queen in Babar, I love how simple and pretty this name is.
- Names with "l's" and "s's," or extra syllables- "Alessandra," "Jessamine," "Christabel," "Laurel," "Viviana," "Sapphira"...none of these is a huge favorite of mine, but they're all nice and feminine.
Female classics: "Charlotte," "Georgiana," "Lydia"... Timelessly girly.

Even if you abhor pink, are there any ultra-girly names you dote on?

6 comments:

  1. I had a dog named Lacey, who I loved dearly but don't feel right naming a child that.

    Celeste is a great name...you keep liking names I've used in my writing! :-P

    I think Audra is a very girly name that's lovely. As well as Lily. Except Lily don't work with Lanting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW...Lily *doesn't* work with Lanting. Forgive the grammar error. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Claire, and Emma is so pretty even if it's going through a common phase. Audra/Audrey are girly and sweet, and Lily is a flower name with two l's so it's decidedly girly. And I happen to like the L-alliteration, so Lily Lanting is great in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loveloveLOVE Marianne. Jordan hates it and thinks it's redneck, but it just very much says girly to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course I think Evelyn is the best feminine name :)

    ReplyDelete