Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Names on my Radar

It's been a little while since the last post. I blame the little soon-coming human, whom I'll have the pleasure of naming on MONDAY! I tell you, there's nothing as thrilling as giving a real, live name to your own little real, live person! Such a privilege! In the meantime, here are some random names that have held my attention lately:

- Minor prophet names: Whereas OT names in general are pretty popular right now, even among the non-churchgoers, minor prophet names are still pretty obsolete. Granted, some don't exactly roll smoothly off the tongue ("Nahum", "Habakkuk"), but others are certainly underused. My favorites: "Obadiah", "Micah", "Malachi", "Amos," "Hosea", and "Zechariah."

- "Margaret"- I think "Margaret" is lovely in general, but I adore the nickname possibilities- there's something for every personality. My very favorites are "Meg" and "Greta," but there are countless options!

- "Jeremy-" I just like it. But I'd want to nickname him "Remy" which is pretty girly sounding, so it's not a name I could use.

- "Kyle-" Common, yes. Meaningful- not to me. But I've always had a thing for this name. I don't really care for "Kylee" or "Kyler" or any of its other derivatives, but "Kyle" will always have a place in my heart.

- "Megan-" This name was much more commonly used in my generation than today, but I think it's such a nice mix of girly and cute, but still serious. I like the fact that it's a two syllable name that still sounds really short, if that makes any sense.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of Remy - we like the name Remington - so manly! But we will probably never use it since the meaning is not conducive to sharing the gospel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! Megan is a derivative of Margaret. Irish I think, though I could be wrong. Although it took a while, I, myself like the name Margaret. Good thing, because it's my name. It certainly has lots of nicknames. I have personally gone by three of them: Marti (more common for Martha, I know), Meg, and Daisy. I favor it for a little girl and particularly like Maggie as a nickname. My grandmother and aunt are both Margarets too, a Maggie and a Margie. My parents said they chose it so I could be anything I want. A supreme court justice was their standard. I find myself in the same boat when it comes to Baby name standards. "How will that sound when he runs for president?"

    ReplyDelete